Makeup artist Meredith Baraf has worked with a variety of A-list clients — Katie Cassidy, Adriana Lima, and Minka Kelly are just a few — and photographers like Ellen von Unwerth and Irving Penn. She's known for her ability to "express mood and meaning in (her clients') eyes." From editorial to advertisements to red carpet, Meredith is highly in-demand, and has an uncanny way of bringing out the "gorgeous" in her famous works of art. Here, Meredith answers my three favorite beauty-related questions.
INDUSTRY BREAK: I knew that I loved makeup at a very young age. I started working at a MAC counter while doing some freelance work on the side. Shortly after that, I got into doing some production work for a soap opera. Then a friend introduced me to Linda Hay, who I started assisting. After assisting her and learning under her, my career really took off!
5 MOST COVETED PRODUCTS:
1. MAC Eye Kohl in Power Surge and Teddy – Good for smudging and great for a smoky bronze eye!
2. Make-Up Forever High Definition Powder – It doesn't take away the glow, but takes away the shine.
3. Bobbi Brown Face Highlighter Pen in Opal – A great highlighter for cheekbones, the inner corner of the eyes, and tip of the nose.
4. Chanel Compact Foundation in Teint Innocent – Gives nice, even coverage without overwhelming the natural radiance of the skin.
5. Victoria's Secret Incent Self Tan Lotion with Tint – It's a great summer product! It gives your body summer sexy bronze, with low levels of DHA that is healthier for the skin.
FAVORITE LOOK: Doutzen Kroes for The Met Ball (top, right) — it was fun! Very classic look without being overdone. It was sexy and classic; we wanted to create a Grace Kelly look while giving Doutzen her own creative spin.