News & Runway

BILL BLASS COUTURE CLOSES

 By Sharon Feiereisen 

After all the debacle with Peter Som leaving as the head designer it should come as little surprise that Bill Blass Couture has officially announced that it will close its factory. The staff, laid-off on Friday, included some who had been with Blass since the company’s inception back in 1970. “It’s been a crying-fest up here. I never wanted to go through something like this again,” said one employee to a reporter at WWD. 


 
NexCen Brands Inc., the Bill Blass parent company, is said to be negotiating a deal to sell Bill Blass to Peacock, a company that specializes in men’s neckties. However NexCen executives declined to comment, though they confirmed that talks were under way with more than one non-financial company. It is further being reported that while Bill Blass, at its height in the late Eighties and early Nineties, had about $500 million in sales, recent sales amounted little more than $500,000.