The New York fashion industry has a well-deserved reputation for business acumen; our designers — Michael Kors, Alexander Wang — have skillfully built their brands with strong accessories offerings and savvy ventures like diffusion lines.
But European design houses are no less commercially minded, argued fashion journalist Laurie Brookins over dinner while filming theFashionDish, a new original series from tFS.
"You look at a lot of European shows — you look at Louis Vuitton, you look at Chanel, at Hermes, and you want to see the bags," Brookins said. "The bags are the bread and butter of so many collections."
Watch the full clip above.
The debut installment of theFashionDish brings six fashion industry experts for dinner and a roundtable discussion recapping New York Fashion Week. In the coming weeks, we'll be bringing you lots of short clips and a full 30-minute episode drawn from the rowdy, hilarious and informative conversation that ensued.
About our panelists:
- June Ambrose, a leading celebrity stylist whose clients include Jay Z, Missy Elliot and Zoe Saldana.
- Laurie Brookins, a veteran fashion journalist who has interviewed designers like Tom Ford, Frida Giannini and Alber Elbaz. Brookins was also theFashionSpot's social ambassador this Fashion Week.
- Katie Cassidy, the star of The CW's Arrow and co-founder of the fashion blog TomboyKC.
- Jaclyn Jones, Senior Womenswear Editor at WGSN, a leading trend forecasting firm.
- Chiun-Kai "Chunky" Shih, fashion photographer, Condé Nast creative director and the creator of Hipstamatic's 'Chunky' lens.
- Robert Verdi, a celebrity stylist (best known for his work with Eva Longoria), television personality and lifestyle expert.
Julie Bensman, theFashionSpot's editor-at-large, moderated the discussion, which was filmed at The Lion in New York City.
- Watch: The Top NYFW Runway Accessories of Fall 2014 [theFashionDish]
- The Trend Continues: Sneakers on the Runway [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Why Michael Kors is the Ultimate American Designer of the Moment [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Which Fashion Trends Are You Sick Of? [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Who Are New York’s Most Exciting Emerging Designers? [theFashionDish]
- Stalking Ireland Baldwin: Are You Obsessed With Her Yet? [theFashionDish]
- On Celebrity Fashion Careers: ‘Kanye Never Counted, I’m Sorry’ [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Is Marc Jacobs Still Setting Fashion Trends? And Could There Be a Target Collaboration in His Future? [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Is Thom Browne the American Fashion Industry’s Answer to John Galliano? [theFashionDish]
- How Resort Became the Biggest Season on the Fashion Calendar [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Is the Star Wars Trend for Real? [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Was Kendall Jenner Fashion Week’s Biggest Publicity Stunt? [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Marc Jacobs Doesn’t Support the Gay Community [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Celebrity Stylist June Ambrose Defends the Street Style Circus at Fashion Week [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Where Do Fashion Trends Come From? [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Do Runway Models Perpetuate an Unattainable Beauty Standard? [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Can We Talk About Lupita Nyong’o? a tFS Roundtable Discussion [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Is Karlie Kloss Overexposed or Awesome? A tFS Roundtable Discussion [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Who Cares About Diversity? A tFS Roundtable Discussion [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Do Bloggers Belong at Fashion Week? A tFS Roundtable Discussion [theFashionDish]
- Watch: Is Lincoln Center Fashion’s High School? a tFS Roundtable Discussion [theFashionDish]